A study published in 2005 compared electro-acupuncture plus moxibustion with steroid and lidocaine medication for the treatment of tennis elbow, and found the acupuncture treatment to be more effective.(Jiang 2005).
It is thought that acupuncture may help relieve symptoms of tennis elbow, such as pain and inflammation by:
- stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, which leads to release of endorphins and other neurohumoral factors, and changes the processing of pain in the brain and spinal cord (Pomeranz 1987, Han 2004, Zhao 2008, Zhou 2008, Lee 2009, Cheng 2009)
- delivering analgesia (Koo 2008);
- increasing the release of adenosine (Goldman 2010);
- modulating the limbic-paralimbic-neocortical network (Hui 2009);
- reducing inflammation (Kavoussi 2007, Zijlstra 2003);
- improving muscle stiffness and joint mobility by increasing local microcirculation (Komori 2009), which aids dispersal of swelling.
Charlotte Green practices acupuncture in Preston, and her clinic is conveniently located for patients travelling from throughout Lancashire.